Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Speed Painting #46 + Completed Illustration

It's been awhile. I've been lazy about posting my paintings.

Speed painting #46




I need to work on atmospheric perspective. My paintings don't get hazy towards the background. The sky doesn't have the same luminosity either. And the green. I'm beginning to suspect green is the most difficult color to paint with, particularly in nature. I think I need to go more into the yellow-brown spectrum.

She Who Ran Away With the Apostate Mage


This took forever and I'm tired of looking at it. It was (kind of) a fun project. This is one of my most thought out paintings and involved painting a lot of things I had no idea how to handle.

Speaking of things that may or may not have been handled well: the fiery inferno in the background. It occurred to me way too late in the progress of this painting that due to the nature of light created by fire, it could not light up that huge area. So I used a lot of artistic license and the rule of cool to make it work.

Dragon Age 2 Spoilers

This painting is a fanart for Bioware's Dragon Age 2. With the exception of a few notable features in the game, I did not like this game. I did, however, love the tortured apostate mage Anders and his romance with my playable, snarky, rogue Hawke. My Hawke does everything she can to help Anders, sides with him against a good friend after he blows up a damn church, and abandons her home and wealth for a man that only has 20 years of life left, and how does the game repay me? The sole completed romance with no kiss!

... Yes, my anger over the lack of a kiss from a fictional character inspired and fueled 40+ hours of an activity I despise. I don't know either.



2 comments:

  1. Really great work. Why isn't this on your deviantart yet? I especially like the texture on the tree. Grass has texture too though I'm not sure if it borders on being distracting from the main couple. My eyes does focus on the pair under the tree mainly cause one of the girls is the only one to lock eyes with me. The fire is really nicely rendered too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coloring and the light Kirkwall is casting over the area, and the fire is very nice. Having Isabella, Merrill, and Aveline on either side of Anders and Hawke really does help balance out the picture as well. And I'm not sure what else to say, aside that I think this looks great...

    ReplyDelete