Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Speed Painting 54 + Dragon Age Fanart

Speed Painting 54

~1 hour

The cotton clouds work, the wispy clouds got lost. The stones are way too dark. The purple-ish patches in the ocean are too dark. 



Bitter Cold

~10 hours-ish?

****DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS (AND 2? 3? I think "spoilers" are dumb so I don't keep track of these thingsSPOILERS****

Alternate titles: Morrigan Disapproves, Ice Witch Out

I wanted to draw Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins, but didn't know what to do with her. She's probably one of the more interesting (and misunderstood) characters from the game. I asked the boyfriend for an idea, and he said he would like to see Morrigan with her demon-god-baby. Morrigan is a very difficult character to imagine as a mother. After some discussion, using evidence of how Flemeth raised her, Morrigan's personality, and Morrigan in the "Witch Hunt" DLC, we came to the conclusion that she would be "Flemeth Light," or better yet the "mama bear" archetype. She's wild and identifies strongly with animals (and can even turn into a bear), so I think it makes sense that she would love her son and not use him like a tool as her mother did to her. I don't expect a lot of tenderness from her, but I think there would be an affection that wasn't there between her and Flemeth.

I'm sure the third installment will contradict my theory. But seeing as how Bioware can't keep their own lore straight and ruined one of my favorite characters, I don't care.

A lot of my ideas involved the environment more, (e.g. Morrigan trekking across a frozen mountain wilderness landscape), but that really didn't work with my overall goal with this piece. I don't think fan art that's more landscape than character will fare well.

Long story short, I was kind of trying to portray Morrigan as a "mama bear": Fierce, protective, and nurturing surrounded by a harsh environment.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete