Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Speed Painting 51-53

Speed Painting 51

1 hour

The shapes of the mountains in the background are off. A lot of my colors are off. They're too saturated or dark when they should be more neutral. The ocean should be brighter. The reflections of the sky on the tops of the rocks was pretty cool. I wonder how frequently that happens.



Speed Painting 52

1 hour

My colors in the background are way too saturated. I know what atmospheric perspective is, but in practice it's really hard to get the colors neutral enough to look further away while still looking like a color. Some of the greens are better than usual, others are seriously off. 


Speed Painting 53: master copy of Tiger on the Watch (Gerome)

1 hour

I thought I'd try a master copy tonight. I was trying to avoid animals and people, but this was the best I could do with the images I saved. I didn't feel like spending an hour or more searching for landscapes. The colors in the foreground aren't too bad. The tiger is a crime against nature, but I spent a couple minutes on him so that's to be expected. Atmospheric perspective sucks. I'm seeing a pattern here. I know colors are supposed to get grayer the farther away they are, but I can't seem to paint it. The hazy look escapes me at the moment. The effect is a lot more pronounced in master works. The master copy was a lot more fun than a photo and easier to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment